Friday 20 November 2009

Fan Boys Priorities (One-Up)

Liam Farrel REPORTS for COL :



Nerd, geek, dweeb, anorak, saddo...if any of these labels have ever been aimed at you then read on. You're exactly who this article was written for. Fist and foremost, those labels used to pigeon hole you and put you down. Forget them, expell them from your vocabulary. You do not need labels invented by people who want to hold you down and see you fail. This site is improving one's self, and that's your first step. Secondly, there's nothing wrong with being a fanboy (a term I use professionally and personally), I'm one myself;
I work as a videogame journalist, into more different TV shows, comic, animated shows and films than you can shake a lightsabre at and the only thing that outnumbers my collection of games is action figures! So understand what I say comes from a good place and is said by someone that understands you and your situation. A fanboy may very well be who you are. But that doesn't mean it has to be what you are.



To explain my point, let me tell you a little but about one (of many) of my interests. I like The Transformers, the original cartoon series, I like it a lot. When I have nothing to do I trawl internet sites looking for the original toys from the 80's, own three different Starscreams and would slap you silly if you got in the way of me getting a masterpiece Grimlock! So, as you can see, I really like Transformers. But it doesn't own me, my life doesn't depend on owning them, there's much more to my life. My hobbies and passions are just a part of it.



before you start jumping to conclusions, I'm not going to tell you to flog your comics and signed William Shatner photo on ebay for the sake of a girl (or getting a girl). What I'm advocating is indentifying your priorities, putting them in order of importance and keeping them separate. Have your personal loves and interests, but keep them personal (more on this in a bit)
I'm going to divulge a little fact about women, you may think I'm full of it or sexist, but you'll see it's more or less true. When you first meet a woman, she doesn't care about your life story. Within minutes (if not seconds) she's made her mind up if you are someone she'd sleep with, go out with you, be friends with you or pretend in five minutes that her mum had a bad turn and she has to leave. First impressions count with women, and waxing lyrical about why Star Trek DS9 is better than next generation isn't gonna do much for your love life.



"Smooth and Sharp at all times with a hint of cockyness is the perfect recipe to attract women"


Look at it like this; you, your personality and how you present yourself is like a product. And the woman is the perspective customer. Every shop has a target customer, the person they want buying their product. So they need to best present their product and shop to attract that desired customer so hopefully they'll buy something. So you're gonna want to put the best products, in the best possible way to get that customer's interest. Stuff she would want or be interested in. You don't stick back room stock or paperwork in the front window. They're part of what makes the shop run, but are of no interest to the customer. You'd be surprised at the difference a few little changes can make...



Smarten yourself up: That Red Dwarf t-shirt may be the shit at a fan convention but it says "nobody" to a potential girlfriend. Get some nice plain t-shirt (at the very least) and dress shirts.


Clean your place up: Piles of DVDs or comics are a big risk of alienating a girl (and you don't wanna screw things up if you get her to your place). So get some shelves or cabinets made up to keep your stuff in (or at least tastefully display it). Even if you live at home with yo mother you can still have a hot gf ... unless if your parents are strict muslims ... then I suggest a motel !



Believe: People may have tried to make you feel bad, don't let them. Don't even give them the pleasure of letting them think they upset you. Likewise with girls, if they give you the elbow. Don't take it to heart. Girls get attention from guys all the time, so you not getting her heart is no different to what we've all gone through. Get some dreams and follow them. Don't worry about "the making money part". That will soon come if you do what you love with the added effort !



I can't do it all for you, you have to take the initiative yourself, but take on some of what I've written. At no point did I say stop being a fanboy, by all means enjoy your hobbies but bare in mind there's a whole life outside your interests, so go out there and live it because you will enjoy if you take that step and swallow the pill out of your self made prison. So the next time someone is going to a party and you have the choice of either surfing the net, reading a comic ... leave your house and join who ever. Because in the future you will use your office 3 things :D !

1) One to Sleep in

2) Two to Break Deals in

3) To Sleep with and Break Women in ! The Janitor can hold the camera LOL!

No comments:

Post a Comment