Tuesday 21 July 2009

Music One-Up

Picasso once quoted “ I don’t believe in accidents. There are only encounters in history. There are no accidents ”



Recently I stumbled upon the seductive and hard going instrument… the violin. My adoption and love bound for this instrument and struggle to play it better lead me to purchase a classical music CD to fully embrace the art and quality sound coming out it. The main reason I purchased the CD was also for something to listen to while in the car. Classic FM is good but I prefer the classics such as Cannon in D instead of new wave classics of the likes of Hanz Zimmer thumping out of my car stereo.


Anyhow I had decided I would pick my friend Hassan from work and we would go driving and probably catch a bite to eat. As he finishes work at 3 pm. I had to purchase the congestion charge, which in my opinion is nothing more than gloryfied day light robbery. Being young and 20 years old I have adopted the MAX VOLUME approach while driving however I fear all the BASS from musical songs such as “TIME” by David Ghetta will surely destroy my awesome ears and lose a customer for apple. Anyhow, driving around sunny and hot London can be distracting and rather hard as every girl within a 10 metre radius is displaying her lovely legs. However being the natural Bond I am , I can drive and perv at the same time, now that's multi-tasking! Anyhow I under estimated the traffic conditions and was totally stuck in non moving traffic. Just like you see in sit-coms and movies. And I didn’t have much time till Hassan finished work. Being the cool preppy self that I am. I had the car windows rolled down as Cannon in D blasted out of Car. While stuck in traffic on old Brompton road, a gentlemen drove up in a grey Aston Martin Vantage. I could here the seductive roar of engine underlying my classical music. As I turned to look at the driver next to my car there sitting in his Aston was a man that could've been 007 himself. The classical music rung through the traffic as well as the hum of the Aston it was total harmony. During the peak of the song a conversation began which lasted almost 5 mins.

Man in Aston: My good man is that Cannon in D you seem to be coursing out of your speakers LOL
Me: A nod!
Man in Aston: Ah I don’t see that much these days. Young people, blasting out Classical Music. Actually I never see it to be honest.
Me: Classical Music has a distained character unlike these other music genres, also the radio stations play super pop music which I don’t really fancy. It is like I am already living in Japan and listening to one time pop stars on the radio. Plus this traffic is not helping and it’s making me run late.

Then after some minor conversation about music we moved onto our common enemy…the traffic.

Man in Aston: Where are you heading to anyway ?
Me: I going to Covent Garden actually
Man in Aston: Ahhhh I see. I am going a similar direction and I know short cut. Care to follow.
Me: Sure
After taking copious amounts of short cuts and driving through the streets of London in true Italian Job fashion I re discovered the joys of driving. I have to say that the chap in the Aston was maneuvering and zig zagging through the traffic like Lewis Hamilton. After tailing him I arrived at Convent Garden in about 10 mins. And with a brief thanks and a flash of lights, off went the Aston.
HEHE!

While I was driving I asked my Sat Nav to record the routes and shorts cuts… so no more waiting in gridlock anymore Mr Bond!

So what I learnt from this encounter is specific music radiates different levels of positive vibes. A form of Musical One-Up. The Classical Music pumping through my speakers during traffic instantly brought up a sense of class and One-Upness amongst individual around the car who could hear it ! And lead to this very awesome and handy encounter.

No comments:

Post a Comment